Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Musee D’Orsay: Dream and Reality

9/28 

The Musee D’Orsay in Paris is apparently under construction and; therefore, many of it's paintings have found temporary homes elsewhere in the world. Over the past summer, Seoul's Art Center has stored many of them in an exhibition titled  Musee D’Orsay: Dream and Reality. One Wednesday a month, the 4th grade team at my school (which I tend to be associated with) is allowed to leave early and spend some time together doing something fun. This week, it was the D'Orsay exhibition.

Much of the art was from the 19th century and included famous artists such as Vincent Van Gough, Gustave Courbet, Paul Gauguin and Jean Auguste. I'd be lying if I said I knew all these names prior to my visit to the show. And lying again if I said I didn't have to look them up again to write this post. The truth is, European art and history really isn't of much interest to me, especially the portraits. I'm no art expert, but the portraits just seemed to scream snootiness. Hand me over some N. American, Asian, or South American art and/or history and I'll eat it right up, but again...not the biggest fan of the European stuff. It could totally be a case of lack of experience.

I did, however, enjoy the landscape and more abstract work. Of course, seeing Vincent Van Gough's "Starry Night, Arles" is something to brag about. Never would I ever trade being immersed in the beautiful outdoors for being in an art gallery, thought. And I really do think the same beauty that appears in these pieces can be found all around us on a daily basis and on the canvas of ordinary people (including young children).

My camera phone takes really great quality photos; Here they are:

No photos allowed in the gallery- major
problem for a society in love with the
self portrait. Here is the solution. 

Outside the gallery. 

I guess I kind of like the nudes, especially this one with
the boy and the cat.  

He either really loved or really disliked the exhibit. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment